Saturday, September 12, 2009

We Love Covers

Remixes or covers? I would pick covers anytime. Remixes are seriously getting out of hands nowadays, most popular tracks on Hype Machine have been remixes. They are literally everwhere that I really need to put on some ear plugs.

I came across some interesting covers lately. You know how a band with some indie credentials cover a pop song, and the guilty pleasure instantly becomes non-guilty? That's the case with the three covers below.

The Maccabees - Boom Boom Pow (Black Eyed Peas cover)
This one is nothing short of brilliance. Add on their signature buzzy guitars and Orlando Weeks' unique vocal, I got that boom boom pow, I like The Maccabees' style.

Maxïmo Park -
Just Dance (Lady Gaga cover)
I have never been a fan of Lady Gaga, in fact I am repelled by her self-claimed originality whereas everything about her has been done before , she just put them all together like a patchwork, somehow it works for her, well at least the masses buy it. Now I can listen to this version complete with Paul Smith's alluring voice, I would be more put off when I hear the original on radio again.

Franz Ferdinand - Womanizer (Britney Spears)
Well I prefer the All American Rejects cover of this song, but everyone has probably heard that version already. Alex Kapranos did the song justice, but it seemed like he was struggling to be on keys. To begin with it was a well-written pop song, this is a pretty decent cover.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These interesting crossover covers of recent hits are a trend started by the Live Lounge on BBC Radio One, the first of which was Arctic Monkeys doing a great rendition of Girls Aloud's "Love Machine". True story.

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a good cover song, especially when indie acts cover well known pop songs. I still haven't heard a version of Womanizer that I actually like, maybe I just don't like the song in general.

And I agree: There are WAY too many remixes around

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with you re Lady Gaga-she's a bit annoying and
you do get a sense of deja vu with her act.Maximo Park's cover is very good,and I can recommend Tom Smith's beautiful reworking of Prefab Sprout's Bonny,which
featured on Independiente ID CD
last year.It beats the original
hands down.

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you re Lady Gaga,there's a strong sense of deja vu with her act.Maximo Park's cover of Just Dance is more
listenable and Paul Smith's voice is very alluring!
I can recommend Tom Smith's beautiful reworking of Prefab Sprout's Bonny,as featured on Independiente ID CD in 2008.It
beats the original hands down.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Hanan said...

coverscoverscovers I hate remixes.

6:25 AM  
Blogger kaishin said...

can't download just dance, send me ya :P

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home