Saturday, May 13, 2006

Best "Wolf" Band

Wolfmother

I know I am way behind to talk about this band right now, they might have not received the hype as much as Arctic Monkeys, their album has been in the rotation of my playlist for quite some time, and I felt that I should really mention Wolfmother in case some haven't given them a listen. Pitchfork gave them a 75, I guess few marks short simply because they can't play banjo or are not from Montreal.

I am always a sucker for Aussie music, like Silverchair, Powderfinger, The Vines, The Living End, Jet, Youth Group, Architecture in Helsinki, Cut Copy, The Dissociatives, and The Presets. Hailed from down under, Wolfmother comprises Myles Heskett, Chris Ross and Andrew Stockdale who contribute drums, bass/keyboards and guitar/vocals respectively. The very first full-length self-titled release for the hard-rocking, classic rock-influenced Australian power trio is definitely one of my choice of best albums in year 2006. Rocking hard from start to finish with a throw-back to the like of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, yet somehow awash with originality in their raw, emotive punch.

During my holiday in Sydney last year, I was so close to watch the band perform live at the Modular & Tsubi Xmas Party, Bondi Pavilion but the tickets were sold out. Back then when they were nobody outside Australia, one of their singles "Mind's Eye" was already a hit played everywhere in the city of Sydney. Instantly I fell in love with their music, and the rest was history.

Wolfmother - Mind's Eye

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home