Saturday, December 02, 2006

Top 10 Tracks Of 2006

I've came across so many great music this year, it's definitely tough to make a list of my ten favourite tracks. These ten songs are not some groundbreaking masterpieces, I handpicked them simply because they are sweet treats fo my soar ears throughout the year. I wrote a sentence or two about each song, but it seemed that I have just been recycling the words 'catchy', 'addictive', and 'melodious' and 'beautiful', due to my lack in vocabulary. If you find the repetition of description words does not translate well of how good are those songs, just download them and listen for yourself.


Long Distance Call - Phoenix
"It's Never Been Like That" is probably one of the best albums of the year. "Long Distance Call" is my favourite song, filled with melodious chord, breezy vocal and addictive chorus. A beautiful groovey pop gem that I can't stop listening.


Boy From School - Hot Chip
A catchy electro song, but the achingly gorgeous vocal harmonies that go on here are what really propel this number. Who other than Hot Chip can work so fabulously right a mix between melancholy pop and electroloops? Completely addictive.


The Funeral - Band Of Horses
This dreamy, well crafted indie pop song grabbed me by ears right off the bat. A beautifully moving tune that resonates long after I first heard it that I played it on repeat for zillion times.




Steady As She Goes - The Raconteurs
One can just count on Jack White for some quality music, let alone teaming up with Brendan Benson and 2/3 of The Greenhornes. I like the the opening bass riff before the song blossoms into a bluesy, catchy tune. Lovely.



Hospital Bed - Cold War Kids
Everyone seems to like Cold War Kids, perhaps with the exception of Pitchfork. And I absolutely understand what the buzz was all about. A stripped down song with authentic emotion and soul. I just like the beautiful cacophony and pianos clink in this song.



Nature Of The Experiment - Tokyo Police Club
This young Canadian band is making some hell good post punk. The blasting energy, Casablancas-like vocal, quirky lyrics, coupled with some handclaps, this short track is one of those perfect indie pop singles. Definitely can't wait for their debut album.



We Are Your Friends - Justice Vs Simian
I can't never refrain myself from hearing it again and again. "We are your friends, you will never be alone again", this shouty chorus is ridiculously addictive. Did I mention it is very danceable too?



The Cynic - Kashmir (feat. David Bowie)
This phenomenal song really blows my mind. Dark and atmospheric, plus the deep unique voice of David Bowie, this song sounds just odd yet it works. How fame eludes this awesome Danish band beyond their home country just baffles me.



The Blues Are Still Blue - Belle & Sebastian
Belle & Sebastian is just so damn fine. This ethereal track is immensely likeable on first listen and it does not fade, I am just compelled to repeat it. It is carefree, infectious and easy listening. Don't say I didn't warn you, it makes you tap your foot and sing-along uncontrollably.


Trains to Brazil - Guillemots
Sometimes you gotta believe the hype. This is a simply stunning track, it grows on me with each listen. Everything just work so well together, the horns and whistles, the sound of children, the poetic lyrics, Fyfe's beautiful vocal and a big chorus.



Honourable mentions,

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
No surprise it tops many year-end lists.

Knights of Cydonia - Muse
Simply epic. Heck, no Malaysia again.

Naive - The Kooks
Miss the cut for I first heard it in 2005, but released in 2006. (Also Weny's favourite)

Chealsea Dagger - The Fratellis
Catchy. Doo doo doo doo...

Song For Clay (Dissapear Here) - Bloc Party
This one actually won't be released until 2007, best track from the album.

Initially wanted to throw in a song or two by Arctic Monkeys, but most of their songs have been floating around the net since last year's summer. Anyway still my favourite album of the year!

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you listen The Kooks cover version of Crazy?

- Bimbo Baggins -

9:03 PM  
Blogger yoongbing said...

Yeah. Cool cover.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've snagged all of these :)

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grabbed them all too. Thanks!

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh..cant help but disagree with some of your choices..only four of your out of your top 10 could possibly make it into my favs.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaa honourable mentions.. crazy - gnarlz barkley... omg wei... thats shitzz!!! You provoking me isit coz u know i see your blog often =.=.... Naive, Chelsea Dagger is YEAAA but crazy n muse aiyeee!!!! BLEAKZ

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

artic monkey is awesome btw =)

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you're obviously also arctic monkeys fan, may I recommend two bands: Larrikin Love and the Mystery Jets. They're my new favs, after the Libs broke up and the Monkeys got rid of my favorite fat bass player.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home