Sunday, January 21, 2007

Jens Lekman @ Little Havana, 20.1.07

Jens

I attended the above gig on Saturday with my sisters and a couple of friends. The gig was nice and intimate, we were upstair at the Red Room with some 100+ gig-goers. There were three opening acts, Jerome Kugan, Lurks and Laila's Lounge, each played a set of 4-5 songs.

Finally around 11pm, Jens Lekman came on stage with a ukulele little acoustic guitar. According to the man himself, he was on vacation in Malaysia, but he couldn't resist the fans. He played a solo brief set of simple pop gems, with a good amount of black humour thrown in between songs. He also promised to come back with a full band. The set consists 10-12 songs, those I can recall are crowd-favourite 'Black Cab', 'Maple Leaves', 'You Are The Light', 'Pocketful Of Money','A Sweet Summer's Night on Hammer Hilland', 'Julie' 'Tram 7 to Heaven' and Jens' rendition of Paul Simon's 'You Can Call Me Al'.

Towards the end, the audience requested for more, Jens said that he was afraid that one more song might spoil the whole night, but anyone could go up to him later and ask him play any song after he has taken some rest and water. In a short while, I saw Jens coming out back near the stage, so I went up to him and thanked him for a great night. He is not exactly a pop star, but I felt somewhat nervous around him, as it was probably the closest I got to an artist. I even acted like a fan boy, asked him to pose a photo with me and signed a tour poster. After seeing what I've done, other people also followed, came up for photographing and signing. I didn't stick around for long, so I have no idea had he really played more songs upon request.

Jens

Jens

Jens

I had an enjoyable night, and money was well spent.

Songs I wish Jens Lekman would have played,
Rock Dennis Farewell Song
Run Away With Me

Next up,
Muse 25.02.07.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Reta said...

nice review. was there too.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if im not mistaken, that isnt a ukulele. a ukulele has for strings. this one looks like a really miniature guitar. :]

had a great night with you and your sisters. :] loved it.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hey! i was there too! for some reason i started at the back of the crowd and sort of made my way up to the front! but anyway, i was wondering if you had any of his older and rare songs? or if i could buy a his cd from you? cos it ran out when i wanted to get it.
thanks!
//khal

8:40 PM  
Blogger yoongbing said...

I suggest you to purchase his stuff online, such as iTunes or Amazon. I only own digital copies, maybe u can email me, I can send some to you.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there. thanks for replying. yeah sure, i'll email you. could you tell me what the email is then? thanks.
//khal

7:37 AM  
Blogger yoongbing said...

If you look carefully, you can find my email on the same page.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotcha! sent you an email already! =)
//khal

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home